Monday, October 4, 2010

Lightbulb LOVE


Organically beautiful lightbulbs that are ALSO energy efficient!
image: Plumen

Why oh why is it so hard to find nice-looking light bulbs these days? Let me correct myself - Why oh why is it so hard to find nice-looking, energy-efficient light bulbs these days? As a Feng Shui Consultant and overall tree-hugger, I am thrilled beyond belief that almost everywhere you look, people are using the CFL spiral light bulbs to save energy and hopefully, the planet. But as a designer, it is depressing that we are all using the same sad-looking spiral light bulbs that are well, aesthetically depressing. And for those hard-core design junkies, they may even be reverting back to energy sucking versions in the name of style. Dilemma. 

Hark! Until I happened upon this ingenious design from English company Plumens. As their website states,
The Plumen bulb uses 80% less energy and lasts 8 times longer than incandescent bulbs, giving you the opportunity to purchase an ecological product with style. It works just like any low energy bulb but it has a lot more presence.

I'm so in love with these bulbs, I may have to travel to England to get some. Hmm, but I guess that would be negating by my carbon footprint. Darn.

See them in beautiful 3D here:

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry Susan, we'll have some US spec Plumens early next year with any luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nik - I really hope so, we're desperate here! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nik, it was brought to my attention that CFL bulbs may not be the best way to go:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=425444185921

    Do you have some insight for us please?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete