Thursday, February 18, 2010

Way Down Low

Nice but it's deceiving. This bed is too low.

At first glance, this bed is pleasing to the eye, isn't it? It's modern, sleek and clutter-free! Those are definitely all good things but the problem I am having is that it is so darn LOW. I just had this discussion with a client and her architect. There has been a surge of these "Low Profile Beds" (or what I will expertly refer to as LPB) recently. I don't know if you've been in the market for a bed lately but it's really hard to find a bed that is regular height. I wonder what the thinking is behind it?

I've got nothing personally against any company's beds but I have to say these LPBs do bug me a bit. For example, think about the bed above. Imagine yourself waking up from a good night's sleep, still groggy from your awesome dream. You step off your bed and oops, you stub your toe on the ledge that you always forget is there. As you maneuver around it, it takes more of an effort to stand up since you are so low to the floor. Grumpsville!

The bed you sleep in is just as important as your front door. Getting in and out of bed should be graceful and effortless. You shouldn't have to heave yourself up every morning nor should you have to hoist yourself up to a too high bed. That's how you start and end your day and that's way too much effort.

This bed is too high.

This bed is just right! (heightwise that is)

If you discover that your bed is too low, you can try adding a box spring to put the spring back in your morning (I couldn't resist). If it's too high, you can consider placing a simple step that helps you easily ease into bed. Make these small adjustments and your Chi will thank you. If you're in the market for a new bed, give me a holler if you find a good height bed. I'm looking for a bed and it's been challenging. Now just don't get me started on headboards. I'll save that for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment